Bethel Church was founded in 1937 after an evangelistic tent campaign which toured the country introducing people to Jesus. The church was formed with Mr Davies, the first Pastor, a few Elders and some people who had trusted Jesus in the tent campaign. After initially meeting in different locations across the city, the church was given a piece of land in Spon End (the site of the current church) soon afterwards a wooden church building was erected.
The building stood in spite of a close encounter with a bomb in WW2 and was added on to in the early 1980's with a brick built church hall, offices and kitchen. In 2008 a fire broke out and destroyed the wooden church building which meant after 71 years again Bethel had no permanent home for its Sunday morning gatherings. The first Sunday after the fire the congregation gathered on the adjacent Rugby Club car park and held an open air service in the rain, soon after they began meeting in the Railway Club opposite the church in Spon End. The Railway Club became a pemanent fixture in the life of Bethel and Sunday morning gatherings were held there for the next nine years until 5th November 2017 when the first service in the new facility was held.
Throughout all of the changes, challenges and blessings over the years one thing which has always stood out above everything else is how gracious and generous our amazing God has been and continues to be!